Friday 9 July 2021

My Questions for Matariki

 Hi Bloggers J'varn here today I am doing my  Matariki Questions. Blog you later

   What is Matariki Matariki is the new year for Maori and there are these 9 stars there names are  Tupuārangi, Waipuna-ā-Rangi, Waitī, Tupuānuku, Ururangi, Waitā, Pōhutukawa and Hiwa-i-te-Rangi.   This is the time to harvest food and the maori people used the stars too locate to go to certain islands. The lunar calendar uses 354 days. 410 light years away. 

 Where would you find Matariki? In New Zealand the best time is at the end of June and July. In the night sky you will find Matariki by looking for the pot 

 or  Orion about go left then go left go left again and there will be a small cluster of  bright stars this is Matariki.

Miss Green says that matariki helps Maori people decide when to plant different food. Is she right? Yes she is right because you can  plant and harvest crops and plants ready for the next year.

What type of food is the best to harvest at this time of year? Potatoes , Kumara , Wheat , Pumpkins.

Matariki is the Maori new year. How do Maori people celebrate Matariki? Maori reflect on the past and celebrate the present by sharing kai ,  showing manaki (giving and receiving) . We also spent time with whanau, we  also korero and set new goals. 

What do kites play in Maori celebrations of Matariki? To communicate A with those who had passed on, connecting heaven and earth.


1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora, my name is kahvel and I'm from 23 at Owairaka District school. I really liked your blog post about "My questions for Matariki". I remember When I saw someone else's blog post like this. Have you ever maybe tried doing the same thing but a different subject like maybe sports. Thanks for sharing your Learning. You should check out my blog.

    my blog

    ReplyDelete